Comments Off on Essential Packing Tips for your Move
Essential Packing Tips for your Move
Once you have finally arranged details around the moving company and have decided on a date, it is time to start packing your belongings. This may seem easy, but is in fact a difficult task, which requires certain knowledge on how to do it, if you want to ensure that your precious items come out whole from the boxes once they are unloaded at your new home.
Before you begin your packing, take a good look around and decide what you want to take with you to your new home and what you can leave behind. Moving homes is the best time to get rid of some junk that has been cluttering your life for a while. Once you have done that, it is time to pack your stuff properly. Here are few smart tips to help you do that effectively.
- Get enough boxes – one common mistake people make during a removal is underestimating the volume of items they want to move. While it is true that you can save space and pack certain belongings in a compact manner, you are still going to need a good number of boxes if you want to take everything with you. It is better to have few in reserve than not have enough, as the latter can stop the work and delay your schedule.
- Get the right size boxes – you will need boxes of various sizes for your removal. Never limit your boxes to a single size. Light items, such as linens, clothes and pillows are best packed in large boxes. Use smaller boxes to fit heavy stuff like books so that they are easier to pick and load. Never pack heavy items in large boxes, as that increases the chances of breakage during relocation.
- Don’t mix items from different rooms in one box – that will make organising a real nightmare once you unload everything at your new home. Not only that, but it will delay you further and make the work harder.
- Try to fill the open space in your boxes – use towels, clothing and packing paper to fill any large gaps in your moving boxes. Avoid loosely packed boxes, because the items inside may easily break during transportation. You will also find that movers will sometimes refuse to transport such boxes, simply because of the risk of breakage.
- Label your boxes – if you want to avoid some unpacking chaos once you arrive at your new home, you should take your time to label your boxes. One typical strategy is to label the room a box is destined for. A short list of its contents will also help a great deal. Make an inventory list – this will not only help you get organised faster, but also allow you to keep track if everything is present once you unpack.
- Tape your boxes well – the last thing you want is to have the contents of a box spill in the moving van during transportation. Use few pieces of strong tape to close the top and bottom seams of each box. Expert movers also like to use a technique to strengthen the points of each box where most stress is concentrated (bottom and top edges) by wrapping tape all around the box edges.
These simple packing hacks will enable you to pack effectively and, above all else, securely. Follow the tips to ensure your items reach their destination without a problem.